The pre-school operates a ‘free flow play’ system for most of the session, meaning that children are free to choose their own activities, both indoors and outdoors. This enables children to make choices, decisions and discoveries for themselves, with the help and support of knowledgeable and supportive adults to provide the best possible conditions for furthering their learning and development. The children are also helped and encourage to take part in adult led small and large group activities which introduce them to new experiences and help them to gain new skills, as well as helping them to learn to work with others.
We have a firm commitment to the new Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) being introduced this September. The EYFS recognises that, for young children play in an environment with adults that understand and care for them, forms the basis of their learning.
Young children learn, grow and have fun. It helps them understand the world and to develop socially and emotionally. Singing songs, reading together, playing games with letters and numbers, and having fun with friends gives them a head start.
West Hendon Pre-School have a strong commitment to the principles of the EYFS, which are :-
- A Unique Child – We value the individuality of each child and their parents and the contribution they make to our community. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff always ensure that children receive the appropriate levels of support to enable them to participate in, develop from and enjoy all activities.
- Positive Relationships – We aim to provide a caring and supportive environment for our children and parents. Each child has their own Key Worker who aims to become that child’s ‘special person’ – the person who understands your child and with whom you can talk if you have any queries or concerns.
- Enabling Environments – We provide a wide range of interesting activities and play opportunities which are age and stage appropriate for our children and tailored to their interests.
- Learning and Development – We recognise that all areas of learning are equally important and interconnected. The EYFS curriculum divides children’s learning and development into six areas:
- personal, social and emotional development;
- communication, language and literacy development;
- mathematical development;
- knowledge and understanding of the world;
- physical development; and
- creative development.
Our activities and play opportunities are planned to encompass development in all of these areas.
Trusting they’re safe
You can be confident your child will be safe because the EYFS has safeguards to help ensure every child has a poitive experience, surrounded by people who care for them.
Your child’s progress
The EYFS curriculum ensures that all children are treated as individuals and that all activities are differentiated to ensure that all children are able to participate. It ensures a constant monitoring and development of children’s progress through observation and planning. At West Hendon Pre-School, we plan activities based on the children’s interests in order to engage them in their own learning and development.